LIREC will address a number of key scientific and technical areas, which have previously received limited examination:
- A multi-aspect (perception, memory, emotions, communication, learning) theory of artificial long-term companions.
- An extended empirical evaluation undertaken in real social settings to validate the theory developed.
- Ethological issues in developing these long term companion relationships.
- The effect of embodiment and migration on these long term companion relationships.
- The development of a guideline framework for viable long term companion technologies.